Monday, September 7, 2009

My Boy

So I visited the Hospital Ward this evening... and wow.... I wish words could express what I experienced... first of all, it is already hard just going to a normal hospital to visit someone... but even harder to visit a patient you have never met in Africa...and no one speaks your language... or even French... second, its hard to take in the sounds of crying, beeping, the smells of a normal hospital, African food, and seeing 10-12 beds full of faces that hurt...yet there was...joy.... hum... joy.... yes, as a matter of fact I believe that Joy would be a very good word to describe it. :) I felt like the whole room lit up when Danae and I walked in... a few of the children instantly took a hold of us, and wanted to play "Jenga"... so we stacked the tower very neatly... and soon realized that "our" rules were just suggestions..and just like any kid, they like to just have fun. So, we ended up just trying to build the tower as high as we could...until...Oh!! IT FELL! haha!! I dont care where in the world you are, when the Jenga tower falls...you literally laugh out loud! and instantly try to stack it right back up to play again! ...meanwhile... a little boy kept making eye contact with me...and smiling...and waving... so I waved him down to join us on the hospital floor... Another woman caught my eye and seconds later she joined in...we played another universal game: Disney Princesses Matching! ...except Sebastian, Belle, and Pocahontas were missing their matches...which added a whole 'nother element of its own... I was drawn to the little boy who had played the waving game with me a few times, and it was fun to get excited when he got a match! My heart filled with warmth when even I got a match, because he put both of his hands in the air and gave me the biggest "congrats high 5's" ive ever received! This young boy was not just any ordinary boy... for he obviously knows what it is like to have a difficult life... as he is in the process of having multiple surgeries for a facial deformity of some sort...yet he was excited, joyfilled and encouraging to the other children :) He made me smile. From the inside out. I feel filled with Joy because of him. I may never know this young boy's name, nor understand a word of his language, or ever understand what it is like to grow up in his shoes... but I can tell you this... He has touched my heart. I will keep him, and all of those children in my prayers, and will smile every time I think of them. Even though it was only an hour of "my time"... I think God's timing far succeeded anything I can ever put into words.

Thank you for sending me Lord. I love You. I pray that I continue to do Your work, in Your timing, and for Your kingdom! Use me. Break me. Mold me. I am YOURS.

1 comment: